Another case of monkeypox has been found in Switzerland

A A resident of Zurich is the third person to have tested positive for the virus in the week following two other infected people in Bern and Geneva. All three gave a positive result after the trip abroad.

Around the world, cases of monkeypox are spreading rapidly: as of Friday, more than 330 were registered, much more than the 90 confirmed in the previous week.

So far, Swiss officials are doing nothing but monitoring the evolution of the virus in collaboration with international health authorities and experts. according to Linde Narti, Vice President of the Federal Office of Health.

She added that the virus is considered less advanced than Covid, and at the moment there are no signs of another pandemic in Switzerland or elsewhere.

However, “we need to monitor outbreaks and in any case immediately track contacts to quickly break any transmission chains,” Narti said.

READ MORE: Explanation: What is monkeypox and what does Switzerland do with it?

Banner advertising

The temperature in May was record high

May is almost over, look back confirms that the temperature during the month was about 2.5 degrees above average; in western Switzerland and in Tychy they were 4 degrees higher than “normal” for the season.

After cooling in the last few days, meteorologists predict that in some parts of Switzerland the temperature will reach 30 degrees again.

Hot weather and insufficient rainfall are of concern over the possibility of drought in some parts of the country.

Manual widget for ML (class = “ml-manual-widget-container”)

READ MORE: Weather: Switzerland is preparing for a “record” hot summer

Switzerland is not as clean as you think

Despite its reputation for cleanliness, 38,000 sites across the country, high concentrations of soil contaminants have been found, according to the Federal Environment Authority (FOE).

This figure represents an area of ​​220 square kilometers where the land is polluted to varying degrees and for different reasons.

About 80 percent of these places cannot be cleaned at all, authorities say. For the remaining 20 percent – about 7,500 facilities – an investigation is needed to find out what can be done to improve the situation.

The map below shows whether you live in one of the areas with contaminated soil. All areas marked with colored circles indicate places where varying degrees of contamination are detected.


Banner advertising

The Swiss company is introducing a four-day week

The idea of ​​reducing the working week has been discussed in Switzerland for some time, and although some groups are pushing for it, it is still not close to being implemented on a large scale.

Now, however, the company is based in the canton of Lucerne taking the first steps in this direction.

For the more than 500 employees of Remimag, which operates in the gastronomic sector, the work week will last four days, but employees will have to pay the same number of hours as before.

This groundbreaking move was not in vain.

“We had difficulties with recruitment, as for the entire gastronomic sector. The four-day week makes us more attractive to the younger generation. ” said Bastian Eltschinger, co-director of the company.

If you have any questions about living in Switzerland, ideas for articles or news tips for The Local, please contact us at

Source link

Previous articleFive of our others have disappeared … and deprived families still crave justice
Next articleSony LinkBuds Review: New Headphones That Pass the World Around | Sony